Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Andrea Immer. A savory mashed sweet potato side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, reduction
- Place sweet potato cubes and garlic in a saucepan and pour in chicken or vegetable broth to within a half inch of the top of the potatoes.
- Boil until very soft (the potatoes will sink down into the liquid as they cook), 12-15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Return potatoes to saucepan and mash with potato masher.
- Slowly add some of the cooking liquid, stirring until you get the consistency of a loose puree. It need not be perfectly smooth.
- Stir in thyme and butter, adding more to taste if needed, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Keep warm in a double boiler.
- Drizzle aged balsamic vinegar over each portion just before serving.
- For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Broth only.