From Andrea Immer. A savory mashed sweet potato side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, reduction
- 1Place sweet potato cubes and garlic in a saucepan and pour in chicken or vegetable broth to within a half inch of the top of the potatoes.
- 2Boil until very soft (the potatoes will sink down into the liquid as they cook), 12-15 minutes.
- 3Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- 4Return potatoes to saucepan and mash with potato masher.
- 5Slowly add some of the cooking liquid, stirring until you get the consistency of a loose puree. It need not be perfectly smooth.
- 6Stir in thyme and butter, adding more to taste if needed, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- 7Keep warm in a double boiler.
- 8Drizzle aged balsamic vinegar over each portion just before serving.
- 9For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Broth only.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Puree
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.9
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 99.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 4.4 g