Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
These are sooooooooo good. This recipe reminds me of "twice baked potatoes" but in a sweet potato style.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond
- Scrub potatoes; cut off ends and place in baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into halves and scoop pulp into a mixing bowl.
- Add half the butter, then milk and salt.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Fill shells with potato mixture, return to oven.
- Cream together remaining butter, sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Fold in almonds.
- Place a dallop of the almond topping on each potato half.
- Return to oven and heat five minutes or until topping is melted.
This method was really good. I skipped the almond topping, mixed some minced fresh ginger into the potatoes (I used yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes), and broiled for 15 minutes, but I'm still rating the recipe because I know the technique works fine and the almonds sound delicious too.