Top Review by sugarpea
What a delightful dessert this was. Deeelicious, healthy, lowfat and easy to make if you use the food processor to grate the vegetable. What more could a cook/diner want? I have a whole line of pumpkins sitting outside on a bench waiting to be used up so I made this with fresh pumpkin, dark Karo and half Splenda for the brown sugar. I skipped the water as the pumpkin IS very watery. It worked perfectly. It's a great technique and full of wonderful flavors of the season, Gay. Thanks.
- 3 -4 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cup butter or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- While grating sweet potatoes, bring to a slow boil all the spices in 1 cup of water.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Just before removing the pot of spices from the stove, add butter or margarine, Karo syrup, brown sugar, and salt.
- Stir while the butter melts.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pour this mixture over the grated sweet potatoes.
- Blend well together.
- Put in a well-buttered casserole dish and place in a preheated 350 degrees oven.
- Bake, stirring well two or three times, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned.
- This takes about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- When stirring you may decide extra spices are needed or more water so mix up more water and spice and add them.
- You may add more Karo syrup or butter as well as spices.