Recipe by Peachy326
When Sweet Potatoes are in season, bake several pounds of them, peel them and wrap them individually in plastic wrap, drop the in a large zip lock freezer bags and put in the freezer. This way you'll always have sweet potatoes all year long for such wonderful recipes. I found this recipe in a flyer from the South Carolina Grown Winning Recipies.
SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 236.59 ml butter
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 5 eggs
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml cooked & mashed sweet potatoes
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml coconut extract
- 236.59 ml toasted pecans, chopped
CARMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml butter
- 59.14 ml milk
- confectioners' sugar, as necessary
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKING THE POUND CAKE.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking soda,salt, and baking powder.
- Mix well and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Add sweet potatoes and extracts.
- Making the Caramel Sauce.
- Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle toasted peacans over bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into pan; Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Remove from pan.
- CARAMEL SAUCE.
- Make the caramel sauce just prior to serving the cake.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Remove trom the heat and add milk. Stir well.
- Add confectioners sugar as needed to thicken - takes more sometimes than others - Consistency is up to you.
- Place caramel sauce in gravy bowl and pour over Sweet Potato Pound cake slices.