Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
When Sweet Potatoes are in season, bake several pounds of them, peel them and wrap them individually in plastic wrap, drop the in a large zip lock freezer bags and put in the freezer. This way you'll always have sweet potatoes all year long for such wonderful recipes. I found this recipe in a flyer from the South Carolina Grown Winning Recipies.
SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked & mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
CARMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- confectioners' sugar, as necessary
- MAKING THE POUND CAKE.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking soda,salt, and baking powder.
- Mix well and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Add sweet potatoes and extracts.
- Making the Caramel Sauce.
- Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle toasted peacans over bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into pan; Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Remove from pan.
- CARAMEL SAUCE.
- Make the caramel sauce just prior to serving the cake.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Remove trom the heat and add milk. Stir well.
- Add confectioners sugar as needed to thicken - takes more sometimes than others - Consistency is up to you.
- Place caramel sauce in gravy bowl and pour over Sweet Potato Pound cake slices.