Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
When Sweet Potatoes are in season, bake several pounds of them, peel them and wrap them individually in plastic wrap, drop the in a large zip lock freezer bags and put in the freezer. This way you'll always have sweet potatoes all year long for such wonderful recipes. I found this recipe in a flyer from the South Carolina Grown Winning Recipies.
SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked & mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
CARMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- confectioners' sugar, as necessary
- MAKING THE POUND CAKE.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking soda,salt, and baking powder.
- Mix well and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Add sweet potatoes and extracts.
- Making the Caramel Sauce.
- Grease and flour a 10" Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle toasted peacans over bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into pan; Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Remove from pan.
- CARAMEL SAUCE.
- Make the caramel sauce just prior to serving the cake.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Remove trom the heat and add milk. Stir well.
- Add confectioners sugar as needed to thicken - takes more sometimes than others - Consistency is up to you.
- Place caramel sauce in gravy bowl and pour over Sweet Potato Pound cake slices.