Recipe by Renee Ferraz
Old Southern Living recipe submitted by Brent Elswick from Betsy Layne, Kentucky.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked pureed sweet potato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finley chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and butter; add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Combine next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and flavorings.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan; sprinkle almonds and coconut over bottom.
- Pour batter into pan; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 mins.
- Cool 10 mins and remove from pan.