Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is a moist, sweet cake that's very flavorful. Cooking time and prep time includes the time to bake the potatoes.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs garnet yams (1 C puree)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Prick sweet potatoes several times with a sharp knife.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 oven until very soft when pierced, about 35-40 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel sweet potatoes and whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- You will need 1 C puree.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition.
- Beat in 1 C sweet potato puree, the orange peel, and the vanilla.
- In another bowl.
- mix flour with baking powder, mace and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter; mix on low speed to incorporate dry ingredients, then beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Scrape batter into a buttered 4 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350 oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or about 1 hour.
- Cool in pan on a rack about 15 minutes.
- Invert pan onto a serving plate and cool completely, about an hour.