Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is here through the courtesy of the great Mildred "Mama Dip" Council. If you didn't yet know about this great Southern treasure, read up on her life story and buy her cookbook. You will not regret it!
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (peeled. cooked and mashed)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, dark
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 ounce dark rum (optional)
- Mix together the sweet potatoes with the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the molasses, buttermilk and eggs and mix well.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour and allspice) and combine with the sweet potato mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract, raisins and rum and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a 9"x9" baking pan and bake at 325°F for one (1) hour or until brown.
Thank you! This one is a little sweeter than I want. A restaurant gave me the recipe, but it was for the masses, i.e. 8 1/4 lb. flour, 12 1/2 lb. cornmeal, 9 lb. mashed sweet potatoes and so forth. Can't find a proper conversion table; so I thought I might just find the recipe. Thanks for your suggestion!