Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe on a website for the cuisine of Belize. I love sweet potatoes so this will be made soon. This is very similar to a bread pudding with the substitution of sweet potatoes for bread.
- Grease a 9x13 pyrex dish.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Wash, peel, and grate sweet potatoes.
- In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, ginger, raisins, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add milk and butter; stirring to incorporate throughout mixture.
- Pour into pyrex dish.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of your oven for 30 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350.
- Move dish to top shelf.
- Cook for an additional hour until top is brown, knife comes out clean.
- The top will look very sticky.
The sweet potatoes used in this recipe is not the American yellow yam. It is the one called bonito and has a purple skin. I would also add two cups of water.
We love sweet potatoes too. My first Belize recipe. Made as posted using pure vanilla which along with the coconut milk gave it a nice touch. We thought it a tad sweet too but very flavorful.
Delicious and super easy to do! And the smell is to die for. I love the ginger root in this. I made a half recipe but followed all the timings as stated and then put into 9 inch square baking dish. I also used cinnamon. DH thought it was a tad sweet so I think that when I make it again I will use nutmeg instead of cinnamon. Notice the dietary fiber and potassium of this-high. Thanks TLu for sharing a wonderful Belizean recipe. Made for ZWT4 the Flying Dutchess'.