Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (do not include the white pith, which is bitter)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the potatoes unpeeled until tender throughout.
- Let cool.
- Peel and mash the potatoes, then stir in melted butter.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and beat thoroughly.
- Add milk, vanilla, molasses, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and orange zest.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir into mashed sweet potatoes, then mix until well blended.
- Place the mixture into a buttered 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Optionally, you may sprinkle the top of the pone with additional brown sugar.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes ; uncover, then bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pone to cool completely before serving.
I'm sure this is a 5 star recipe but since I made it different I left off a star. We like our Pone to be more of a vegetable than a desert, and your recipe is closer than the other 7. They are all so sweet. I'm from Louisiana. My recipe doesn't have the nutmeg, clove or orange zest or molasses, the rest of the recipe is the same. Our family loves this and it has to be this way for thanksgiving and christmas. The rest of the year I can mess with it, but not then. I have coppied this recipe for so many people over the years it will be nice to just give them the # and let them find it on their own. Thanks for taking the time to post. It is a wonderful recipe and is a vegetable dish prepared this way. But the recipes with 1 or 2 cups of sugar is a desert....not pone. I will be looking for more of your recipes....Thanks again