Recipe by CHEF GRPA
Pineapple, sugar and marshmallows lend a super sweetness to sweet potatoes. I've been making the casserole for years, both for special occasions at home and for casual dinners. Everyone deceided it was to be added to the list of family favorites. I would love to hear any improvements and/or variations you make to this simple recipe. Enjoy!
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 15 large marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- 1). Place sweet potatoes in a large kettle and cover with water; bring to a boil. Boil gently until potatoes can easily be pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 30-45 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- 2). Peel potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Stir in butter and sugar until butter is melted. Add pineapple, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- 3). Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with marshmallows. Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.