Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 classic pie crust (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 lbs red sweet potatoes, roasted,hot
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup half-and-half
Three Nut Topping
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted,skinned
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425.
- FILLING: Whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder,salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- Skin potatoes, place in bowl and mash well.
- Add butter and stir into potatoes with wooden spoon.
- Blend in dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, vanillaand lemon extract.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Lightly beat egg in small bowl and stir in half and half.
- Stir egg mixture into potato mixture.
- Pour filling into unbaked 9" pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425, reduce temperature to 375 and bake for 40- 45 minutes longer until top is puffy and bottom crust is golden brown.
- THREE NUT TOPPING: In medium sauce panover low heat, stir butter, sugar and honey until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in nuts coating completely.
- Spoon over hot pie.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until topping begins to bubble.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
This was the best pie I have ever had, let alone made! I made it for Thanksgiving yesterday and everyone was fighting over who got to take some home. I followed the directions exactly and used the homemade pie crust as well. This will definitely be on my table at Thanksgiving every year from now on.
Very pretty pie.
This was a great recipe, and thoroughly enjoyed by my family and guest. My dad gave me the best compliement yet..."Your culinary skills have improved tremendously" and this is so not my doing but it is because this recipe is just that wonderful!! I didn't follow the recipe totally, i didn't use the pie crust recipe (cos I was short on time), and I used another recipe, but other than that I didn't change anything. The instructions are extremely detailed, and so easy to follow. DELISH!