Top Review by TiffyR
This was the best pie I have ever had, let alone made! I made it for Thanksgiving yesterday and everyone was fighting over who got to take some home. I followed the directions exactly and used the homemade pie crust as well. This will definitely be on my table at Thanksgiving every year from now on.
- 1 classic pie crust (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 lbs red sweet potatoes, roasted,hot
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup half-and-half
Three Nut Topping
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted,skinned
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup pecan pieces, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- FILLING: Whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder,salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- Skin potatoes, place in bowl and mash well.
- Add butter and stir into potatoes with wooden spoon.
- Blend in dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, vanillaand lemon extract.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Lightly beat egg in small bowl and stir in half and half.
- Stir egg mixture into potato mixture.
- Pour filling into unbaked 9" pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425, reduce temperature to 375 and bake for 40- 45 minutes longer until top is puffy and bottom crust is golden brown.
- THREE NUT TOPPING: In medium sauce panover low heat, stir butter, sugar and honey until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in nuts coating completely.
- Spoon over hot pie.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until topping begins to bubble.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.