Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a relatively new recipe at my house. I got it from an old friend who knows how much my oldest child and my dad love sweet potato pies. He told me to try this crust out and see how they like it. Well, it is a new oft requested dessert at my house and my daddy has become an expert at it. JUST FYI, you can use pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes for a pumpkin pie and it is really good too.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, very finely ground
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 15 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (canned or freshly cooked)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- For crust:.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, pecans and salt.
- With a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add oil slowly, continuing to mix with pastry blender or fork.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, using only the amount you need until dough follows blender or fork around bowl.
- Do not overwork dough.
- Form into a ball, cover and let set in refrigerator while preparing filling.
- For the filling:.
- Mix all ingredients except eggs and half & Half and stir well.
- Mix eggs and half & half into this mixture, then slowly fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Assembling the pie:.
- On lightly floured surface, roll crust to fit pie pan.
- Place in pan and flute edges.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell and bake at 375°F for 35–40 minutes. Cover the edges with foil or a pie rim if they start to get too brown before the pie is set in the middle.