Recipe by WildlifeDi
This is the absolute best I have ever put in my mouth!
Top Review by idarefsky
Thankyou WildlifeDi! My family lives in England.I prepared this at thanksgiving and served it to my VERY reluctant english friends. (sweet poato pie or pumpkin pie are almost unknown here, and the prospect of a sweet pie made with those ingredients is met with a HUH?) As I am glutenfree and lactose intolerent, the pie was also. I made a G-free pie crust, and substituted the cream with soy cream, as I didn't have sherry I added another 5 tablespoons of cream. The result was orgasmic! Everyone had a look of happy surprise on their face when they tasted it, and all wanted seconds. Really, really WOW definately will make this again and again.........
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes (3-4 lg.)
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 2 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 9 inch pie shell, partially baked
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil until tender, peel, and mash sweet potatoes.
- Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add molasses and sweet potatoes; beat well.
- Stir in half and half, egg yolks, and sherry.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold into mixture, and pour into the pie shell.
- Put into a preheated 425 degree oven.
- Reduce heat to 375 and bake about 35 minutes.
- The pie will be brown and set in the middle. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.
- ** If no alcohol is wanted, simply delete it from the recipe but the taste will be completely different.