Recipe by JfsKnight
This is a variation on the Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe (the one on the back of the can). All I did was replace the can of pumpkin pie with the sweet potato. Everyone I served it to at Thanksgiving said it was better than the pumpkin pie.
Top Review by lindieb
I've been using the exact same recipe for years - it just makes sense. The only thing I do differently, is to bake the sweet potatoes, rather than boil. It's super easy to peel them this way, and they retain even more flavor. I was gonna post this recipe, but saw your's. Kudos!
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 large sweet potato, boiled (about 2 cups or 16 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pie shells.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Blend sweet potato until all the lumps are gone.
- Beat eggs lightly in large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients in order given.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F degrees.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Insert toothpick in center to test, should come out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.