Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was a friend's recipe. I make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas and any other time it sounds good.
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together while potatoes are still warm.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding sugar.
- Fold into potato mixture and pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 and bake until set.
- serves 6-8.
My husband announced quickly that it was terrible and no one should have any, so I knew it was a hit. He spend the rest of the afternoon "evening" it up, as everyone was cutting it, leaving "edges" he needed to fix. I fixed another one the next day.