Recipe by Vino Girl
I looked through the sweet potato pie recipes here and could not find one quite like this. The topping makes it different. From Reiman Publications' "The Country Cooking Recipe Collection Prize-Winning Pies."
Top Review by kitchendiva
This was an incredible pie, and relatively easy to make. I shared it with colleagues this evening and was told it was the best pie they had ever had....most of whom had never had sweet potato pie. Loved the topping! I followed it to the T and would highly recommend this recipe to anyone!
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells, premade or homemade
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- whipped topping (optional) or ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Combine topping ingredients together; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to egg mixture.
- Add sweet potatoes and beat until smooth.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Keep pie in oven - reduce heat to 350F and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle topping over pie; return pie to oven to bake another 10-15 minutes, or until the topping is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped topping or ice cream, if desired.
- Store leftover pie in the refrigerator.