Recipe by Impera_Magna
I've been making this pie for over 30 years and I still love it, preferring it to pumpkin any day. I make it every holiday and lots of times inbetween. I take it w/ me for lunch and my kids enjoyed it in their lunchboxes back in the day. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we have! UPDATE: Taking the advice of a friend (Thanks, Julie!) I skipped the crust and poured the filling into a well-buttered pie pan and baked as usual. Not only is it easier, there are less fat and carbs too! Besides... everyone likes the filling best anyway... :D
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I used orange fleshed jewel "yams", not sweet potatoes. For the evaporated milk, equal parts heavy cream and half and half were substituted. Prepared this crust:Recipe #187689 and used freshly ground allspice and freshly grated nutmeg.Mmmmm! Easy to make, too! Thank you for posting. Much better than pumpkin pie.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell, preferably deep dish
- 354.88 ml mashed cooked sweet potatoes (boil in skin til fork tender, cool, peel, and mash)
- 236.59 ml evaporated milk
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mashed sweet potato, milk, sugar, spices, vanilla, and eggs in bowl; stir til blended. (I use a hand mixer.).
- Turn into pie shell.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack; refrigerate.