Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've been making this pie for over 30 years and I still love it, preferring it to pumpkin any day. I make it every holiday and lots of times inbetween. I take it w/ me for lunch and my kids enjoyed it in their lunchboxes back in the day. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we have! UPDATE: Taking the advice of a friend (Thanks, Julie!) I skipped the crust and poured the filling into a well-buttered pie pan and baked as usual. Not only is it easier, there are less fat and carbs too! Besides... everyone likes the filling best anyway... :D
- 1 unbaked pastry shell, preferably deep dish
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (boil in skin til fork tender, cool, peel, and mash)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- Combine mashed sweet potato, milk, sugar, spices, vanilla, and eggs in bowl; stir til blended. (I use a hand mixer.).
- Turn into pie shell.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack; refrigerate.
I used orange fleshed jewel "yams", not sweet potatoes. For the evaporated milk, equal parts heavy cream and half and half were substituted. Prepared this crust:Perfect Pie Crust for Double Crust Pie and used freshly ground allspice and freshly grated nutmeg.Mmmmm! Easy to make, too! Thank you for posting. Much better than pumpkin pie.
This pie was wonderful.. it was a big hit with family and friends. i did make a little... i love butter.... so i added 1/2 stick of butter and it was fantastic. This will be my recipe for all holidays. Thanks so much!
Iwant to thank you soooo much, I think this is the recipe Ivé been looking for. I baked it this am, and my girls loved it, and the oldest doesn't like sweet potatoes! I think it will be our new family favorit!