Prep 28 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
Got through a recipe exchange - friend said it was the hit of her Thanksgiving feast and after making it I can see why! This recipe is also really easy to halve - just put it in a 9x9 pan and bake for the same amount of time.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugar, pecans, and butter in small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Butter 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 12 mins, drain, let stand in colander 15 minutes, puree in processor or with a masher.
- Beat eggs, syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in large bowl. Mix in pureed sweet potatoes. Transfer sweet potato mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle pecan topping evenly over mixture.
- Bake til sweet potato mixture is set and topping bubbles, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes.
This was part of Thanksgiving 2012. The recipe was easy to put together and delicious. However, I think that 2 tablespoons of vanilla was a bit much. It overwhelmed the rest of the flavors of the dish. I will make this again, but will cut the vanilla in half. The butter, pecan and butter topping was excellent. I sprinkled the leftover bag of pecans on the top.
Seems like I'm always doing trial runs with various recipes, & this one was no different! I did cut it in half for just the 2 of us (several meals) & it's now on my list of to-make-again recipes! Except for the fact that I didn't peel the sweet potatoes (we do love yams, but we also like that nutritious peel) the recipe was followed right on down! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]