Recipe by sofie-a-toast
Got through a recipe exchange - friend said it was the hit of her Thanksgiving feast and after making it I can see why! This recipe is also really easy to halve - just put it in a 9x9 pan and bake for the same amount of time.
Top Review by Karen From Colorado
This was part of Thanksgiving 2012. The recipe was easy to put together and delicious. However, I think that 2 tablespoons of vanilla was a bit much. It overwhelmed the rest of the flavors of the dish. I will make this again, but will cut the vanilla in half. The butter, pecan and butter topping was excellent. I sprinkled the leftover bag of pecans on the top.
- 1 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 lbs red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2 in pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix sugar, pecans, and butter in small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Butter 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 12 mins, drain, let stand in colander 15 minutes, puree in processor or with a masher.
- Beat eggs, syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in large bowl. Mix in pureed sweet potatoes. Transfer sweet potato mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle pecan topping evenly over mixture.
- Bake til sweet potato mixture is set and topping bubbles, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes.