Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is for a lower fat version of sweet potato bread. Preparation time does not include time for cooking sweet potatoes. Adapted from Southernfood.about.com
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- Preheat oven to 325*.
- Spray the bottom of a loaf pan with the cooking spray.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, mace, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in sugar, pecans, and raisins or dates. (Note: raisins do not need to be chopped, only dates.).
- In a separate bowl, combine egg substitute, applesauce, milk, and mashed sweet potatoes. Stir to blend well.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.