Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Make and share this Sweet Potato Pecan Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 453.59 g yams or 453.59 g sweet potato, cooked and peeled
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 396.89 g condensed milk, sweetened
- 4.92 ml cinnamon, ground
- 4.92 ml orange rind, grated
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, ground
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 9 inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 egg
- 29.58 ml dark corn syrup
- 29.58 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 2.46 ml maple flavoring
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- With mixer, beat hot yams and butter until smooth.
- Add condensed milk, cinnamon, orange rind, vanilla extract, nutmeg, salt, and egg; mix well.
- Pour mixture into crust.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Pecan Topping: Beat together egg, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter and maple flavoring. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Remove pie from oven; reduce oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spoon Pecan Topping on pie.
- Bake 25 minutes longer or until set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with orange zest twist, if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Absolutely wonderful!! Made as directed and I must say that the orange zest lends such a lovely citrusy note. DH and I agree that this is better (imho) that pumpkin pie. Although you could apply the same method using pumpkin. The crunchy pecan topping is a nice foil for the silky smooth filling. Thank you Sharon for sharing.
Excellent recipe! I didn't have orange rind, but I used ground cloves in the spice mix. For the pecan topping, I didn't have any dark corn syrup, so I doubled the brown sugar (I used dark) with a tbl. milk, and vanilla instead of maple flavoring (didn't have that either!). But it is SO GOOD and easy! Just added this to my cookbook, it's a keeper!! Thanks, Sharon for an excellent recipe!