Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
- 1 lb yams or 1 lb sweet potato, cooked and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 14 ounces condensed milk, sweetened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- With mixer, beat hot yams and butter until smooth.
- Add condensed milk, cinnamon, orange rind, vanilla extract, nutmeg, salt, and egg; mix well.
- Pour mixture into crust.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Pecan Topping: Beat together egg, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter and maple flavoring. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Remove pie from oven; reduce oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spoon Pecan Topping on pie.
- Bake 25 minutes longer or until set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with orange zest twist, if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Absolutely wonderful!! Made as directed and I must say that the orange zest lends such a lovely citrusy note. DH and I agree that this is better (imho) that pumpkin pie. Although you could apply the same method using pumpkin. The crunchy pecan topping is a nice foil for the silky smooth filling. Thank you Sharon for sharing.
Excellent recipe! I didn't have orange rind, but I used ground cloves in the spice mix. For the pecan topping, I didn't have any dark corn syrup, so I doubled the brown sugar (I used dark) with a tbl. milk, and vanilla instead of maple flavoring (didn't have that either!). But it is SO GOOD and easy! Just added this to my cookbook, it's a keeper!! Thanks, Sharon for an excellent recipe!
i took my first attempt of this recipe to thanksgiving. expectations are always high when i bring the desserts, and when my guniea pig tried the first bite she just about fainted in pure bliss. topped with hand-whipped cream lightly sweetened (because this recipe is sweet enough by itself), it's a memorable experience. this pie will definitely be making a repeat appearance next year.