Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the George Washington Carver Sweet Potato Arts and Craft Association of Macon County, Alabama. The cooking time doesn't include a couple of hours for the chilling time.
- 3 -4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked (or use canned)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 -2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mash the sweet potatoes and add one cup sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons nutmeg; chill thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Add sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until steam begins to rise from the custard.
- Do not allow mixture to boil; remove from heat and add vanilla; chill thoroughly.
- Process custard in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturers' directions.
- Just before the custard freezes completely, add 2 cups of the sweet potato mixture and the pecans.
- Continue processing until frozen.