Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
These vegetarian burgers work well as burgers or as a meat replacement patty for meals.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and 1/2 inch cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 boston lettuce leaves
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns (100% whole wheat or whole grain )
- 6 tablespoons chili sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion to pan and sauté 18-20 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Mix vinegar, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt together and stir in to skillet. Cook 30 seconds or until vinegar is absorbed. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- To prepare burgers, place sweet potato in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Reheat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan and sauté 5-8 minutes or until tender.
- Place potato, chopped onion mixture, oats, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and warm water in a food processor; process until smooth. Place potato mixture in a large bowl and stir in nuts. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Wipe pan dry with a paper towel. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 patties to pan; cook 4-6 minutes or until browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and 3 patties.
- Place lettuce leaves and patties on bottom halves of buns and top each patty about 3 tablespoons onion mixture and top halves of buns spread with 1 tbsp chili sauce.
Awesome flavor! The amount of onion looked like it would be too much, but since it shrinks and mellows during cooking, it was perfect. The only reason I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 is because these didn't hold together well. I think the mixture might have been too moist, or maybe needed an egg. Definitely making them again.