Recipe by Peggy Lynn
This recipe is from Tommy Child, Executive Chef at the Lancaster Hotel. It is time consuming, but well worth the effort--This wonderful bread pudding is served with Maple Whipped Cream--the perfect touch!Company Worthy. Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by SibeTracker
I can't wait to try this recipe! ALL of PeggyLynn's recipes I've tried have been a huge success! This has a great combo of flavors that I'm anxious to try. I can almost smell it now! :) SibeTracker
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 4 eggs, plus
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 8 cups crusty French bread (cut into 2 inch cubes) or 8 cups european bread (cut into 2 inch cubes)
Maple Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a small knife or fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until they test soft when pricked with a knife or fork. (or, to microwave, pierce potatoes and place in a microwave safe dish; microwave on high 6 minutes per pound.).
- Do not overcook.
- Let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes.
- Dice into 1-to-1-1/2- inch pieces.
- There should be four cups diced potatoes.
- Reserve 2 cups;mash remaining potatoes witha large spoon or wire whisk.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, eggs, egg yolks, sugars, salt,milk,cream,cinnamon,ginger,raisins,pecan pieces and butter.
- Gently toss bread and reserved potatoes with mashed potato mixture.
- Pour into a 11x9 baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Set a larger pan on middle rack of oven;place baking pan in it and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up sides of smaller pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove foil and let top brown slightly, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from water and cool to room temperature,or keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve with a dollop(or more~)of Maple Whipped Cream.
- For the Maple Whipped Cream.
- 2 Cups whipping cream(chill cream,bowl and beaters well).
- 1/4 cup good-quality maple syrup.
- In a medium bowl or mixer, whip cream to soft peaks.
- Add syrup; whip until incorporated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.