1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato-Peanut Soup
The cayenne adds a nice mild heat while the cinnamon adds warmth and depth. This is a great fall soup! From Woman's Day magazine, with a few added twists of my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, crushed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (1.5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1Heat two TBL oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onion; season with pepper and salt.
- 3Cook onion until tender (8-10 minutes).
- 4Stir in garlic and ginger; cook one more minute.
- 5Add cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon; stir until blended.
- 6Add the sweet potatoes into the pot.
- 7Stir in the crushed tomatoes, creamy peanut butter, and water.
- 8Add cilantro and crushed peanuts.
- 9Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender (about 25 minutes).
- 10Add more salt or pepper, to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato-Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.8
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 344.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g