Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
For a different fruit short cake, make short cakes using mashed sweet potatoes and top with fresh fruit and honey roasted peanuts. Serve as a dessert or for brunch! Recipe adapted from the National Peanut Board.
- 3⁄4 cup honey-roasted peanuts
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- peanut oil
- 4 cups fresh berries (or mixture of any fresh fruits in season) or 4 cups peaches (or mixture of any fresh fruits in season) or 4 cups nectarines (or mixture of any fresh fruits in season) or 4 cups plums, sliced (or mixture of any fresh fruits in season)
- Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- For shortcakes, chop 1/4 cup of the peanuts.
- Mash enough sweet potatoes to make 3/4 cup. Refrigerate remaining potatoes for other uses.
- Combine in bowl the mashed potato, milk, butter, sugar, cinnamon and chopped peanuts. Add biscuit mix and mix until blended (some lumps will remain).
- Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets coated lightly with peanut oil, making 6 equal portions. If desired, sprinkle top of each with an additional 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Bake on high oven rack for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden and baked in center.
- To assemble, split shortcakes and fill with fruit. Top with additional fruit, remaining peanuts and Cool Whip.