1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Pastry Crust (Vegan / Gluten Free)
3 hrs 40 mins
This is a recipe I've modified from www.piginthekitchen.co.uk. If you do not need it to be gluten free then you can also make this recipe using regular pastry flour and no xanthan gum which I've also done and it turned out great. I've used it as a crust for apple pie and shoo fly pie. NOTE: this crust is slightly chewier than a regular pastry crust made with butter, if you want it to crisp up perhaps try brushing the edges with a non dairy spread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the sweet potato by steaming or boiling, then mash it until smooth (discard skin). Put it in a bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours before starting the pie.
- 2Put the rice flour, xanthan gum and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and stir them all together.
- 3Take the sweet potato out of the fridge and add the dry ingredients into the mash.
- 4Sprinkle the counter with a few tablespoons of rice flour and knead the dough until it's no longer sticky.
- 5Press the dough into a ball and then cover and refrigerate for another 30 minutes (I skip this step if I need to make the pie immediately).
- 6Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured surface, then press it into your greased pie pan. (I sometimes need a spatula to help pick it all up at once, it's more fragile than regular pastry dough and may need a little help being transferred from the counter to the pan).
- 7Bake the shell right away or fill it first with the fruit or pie ingredients of your choice. Baking time depends on the kind of pie but it's usually around 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Pastry Crust (Vegan / Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 86.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 345.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: