A nice change from mashed potatoes. For variety, use yams instead of sweet potatoes; or rutabagas instead of parsnips. If you don't have tahini, use sesame oil
- Peel sweet potatoes and parsnips; cut into chunks.
- Place in large saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until just soft, not mushy! (about 10 minutes).
- Drain; place in food processor and puree.
- Put puree back into saucepan; mix in the cumin and tahini (or oil) .
- Reheat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
This is a great side dish! I scaled the recipe down (1 sweet potato and 1 parsnip) and just mashed and whipped them together by hand instead of using a food processor. I really like the cumin with the sweet potatoes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was a great side! I just mixed mine with a hand mixer so there would be a little bit of lumps left. The amount of spice was great and the parsnips were a nice touch; may add some carrots too next time for a little sweetness. Made for 2011 Football Pool Win.
I loved this simple & tasty side, the spicy nutty aftertaste is great, certainly something different. Thanks for posting!