Recipe by Sydney Mike
This vegan recipe, along with its regular counterpart, is from the 2001 As You Like It Cookbook
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Really good! I made it almost as directed, except I had better luck forming patties and baking them at 400F for 45 minutes (flipping halfway through). That cut out the oil but still left them full of flavor! And the cranberries give them a nice gourmet twist. I'd call these hashbrowns rather than pancakes, but regardless, they're yummy!
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups red potatoes, shredded
- 2 cups water (yes, again)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sweet potatoes & 1 cup of water in a large skillet over medium heat, then cover & steam for 10 minutes or until potatoes start to soften. Transfer the potatoes to a plate & set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine red potatoes with the salt & 2 cups of water & let stand for 20 minutes before rinsing, draining & pressing dry.
- To the red potatoes, add the sweet potatoes, onions, parsley, flour, cranberries & Crisco, mixing well.
- Heat half of the oil in the skillet over medium-low heat. When it is hot, add 1/2-cup measures of the potato mixture to the skillet, pressing down to flatten, & cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the bottoms are brown. Turn the pancakes over & brown the other side.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a paper towle-lined plate & repeat the previous step with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve hot & crisp.