Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
This is a modified recipe from the book The Flavor of Wisconsin For Kids. Theirs is just white potatoes, but I used half sweet potatoes and it was very good. You need about 1-1/2 lbs of potatoes altogether.
- Grate the potatoes with the large whole of your food processor (or on the large whole of a box grater).
- Place potatoes into a kitchen towel and squeeze as much water out as you can.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the potatoes; mix well.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients, except for oil, and mix into the potatoes.
- Put coconut oil into a large (preferably cast iron) skillet and heat on medium for 3 minutes. You should have enough to cover the bottom about 1/8 inch up. Test with a drop of water. If it sizzles, it's ready.
- Add 1/3 cup of potato mixture to the skillet (you should fit 4-5 in a large skillet) and press down with the cup or a wooden spoon. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Keep warm in oven if preferred, while cooking the last batch.
- Serve with butter, applesauce, or syrup. My son eats them with ketchup.