Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe, & its vegan counterpart, were found in the 2001 As You Like It Cookbook.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups red potatoes, shredded
- 2 cups water (yes, again)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Put sweet potatoes & 1 cup of water in a large skillet over medium heat, then cover & steam for 10 minutes or until potatoes start to soften. Transfer the potatoes to a plate & set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine red potatoes with the salt & 2 cups of water & let stand for 20 minutes before rinsing, draining & pressing dry.
- To the red potatoes, add the sweet potatoes, onions, parsley, flour, eggs, cranberries & Crisco, mixing well.
- Heat half of the oil in the skillet over medium-low heat. When it is hot, add 1/2-cup measures of the potato mixture to the skillet, pressing down to flatten, & cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the bottoms are brown. Turn the pancakes over & brown the other side.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a paper towle-lined plate & repeat the previous step with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve hot & crisp.
What great tasting sweet potato pancakes! The seasoning is right on the the addition of the cranberries is genius! Loved these - thanks for sharing the recipe!