Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in the Houston Chronicle-so yummy and just in time for Fall. The ideas seem endless, too-if you want to jazz them up. Would be great to make ahead and just reheat on Thanksgiving morning! Enjoy!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or more if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (about 3/4 lb cooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- chopped pecans (optional)
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir together eggs, milk, brown sugar, sweet potatoes, and melted butter. Combine with the flour mixture.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a hot griddle. Once a few holes appear on the surface, flip. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the pancake springs back when pressed in the center.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans, if desired; then serve with butter and syrup.
I made a double batch so that some could be frozen. When I saw how much batter I had, I opted to make them with a 1/4 cup. They turned out excellent.
Mmmmmm. I used a whole teaspoon of cinnamon and added a bit of nutmeg and vanilla extract as well. I also needed to use additional milk to thin the batter a bit, but I used whole wheat flour, so that may be why. These are fantastic. I always make homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, but these would be a great Christmas or Thanksgiving morning meal. 11/27/10--A year later, and I'm still making these! As another reviewer mentioned, this is a great way to use up those leftover sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving! The kids didn't care for the Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, but they gobble these pancakes right up! :)
GRREAT! I found this after trying to figure out what to do with leftover sweet potatoes after Thanksgiving. I have made it 5x since then- with a few changes. I use 1/2 c of brwn sugar, nutmeg and cloves- if you have allspice, use that. I found a recipe somewhere online to make crispier waffles- save the egg whites to fold in after you mix the dry and wet. ALthough I would add honey or maple syrup next time so it is a true walk about waffle without the need for syrup. Loved it- just a Hunt remix.