Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Central Market recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium onion, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- cayenne (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil
- Place the grated sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water. Simmer for 2 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the grated onion, beaten eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place a small amount of batter into the oil. When it is hot enough to sizzle, spoon in the batter, forming thin pancakes about the size of a half-dollar with a spatula. Keeping the heat medium-high, fry on both sides until uniformly crisp and brown.
- Drain the finished pancakes on paper towels (do not stack them) and keep them warm in a 200 degree F oven.
- Serve hot with sour cream and/or applesauce.