Adapted from AllRecipes: A beautiful and unique way to serve sweet potatoes - absolutely delicious, too! Note: It is easiest to remove the flesh of the oranges using your bare (clean) hands vs. a spoon! The filled oranges can be made a day ahead and brought to room temperature before adding streusel topping and heating. Be sure to cut the oranges so that they are fairly stable and will not roll over into the water when baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2Prepare oranges by cutting tops off, 1/4 to 1/2 inch down. Spoon out the flesh, leaving a shell.
- 3In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes, sugar, orange juice, eggs, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup butter and grated orange peel. Spoon mixture into orange shells. Place in a deep casserole dish.
- 4In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans. Cook until sugar dissolves in melted butter. Spoon over oranges. Fill casserole dish with water to reach 1/2 inch in depth.
- 5Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Oranges
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 883.1
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 151.8 mg
- Sodium 300.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 92.0 g
- Protein 7.6 g