Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Although I've slightly tweaked this recipe, the original was found in the 2009 Taste of Home Fall Baking Cookbook.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, cold, mashed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 4 teaspoons orange juice (recipe calls for 3 to 5 teaspoons)
- FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt & nutmeg, then add this flour mixture to the butter mixture, a cup at a time, & alternating the flour mixture additions with a cup of sweet potato additions. BEFORE COMPLETELY MIXED, add the tablespoon of orange zest, & mix just until combined in a stiff batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven & cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from the pan & placing the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of orange zest & enough juice to achieve an acceptable consistency.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake.
I halved this recipe with great success. My cake is moist and golden.Thanks Syd !