Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread, dried overnight
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 oranges, zest of, grated
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried sage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup turkey broth or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, as needed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Put the yams in a big pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to medium and cook until yams are just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 20-25 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water until easy to handle; peel yams and cut into ¾ inch cubes.
- In a big bowl, combine the yams, cornbread, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, parsley, orange zest, and sage.
- Gradually stir in the eggs and about 1 cup broth.
- Season with salt and pepper; transfer mixture to a lightly buttered casserole; drizzle with ½ cup broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes (for crustier top, uncover the last 15 minutes of baking).