Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can use either sweet potato or pumpkin for this recipe. I always tell my children it's pumpkin and they love to eat it with whip cream on top. We usually make several of these during the holiday season starting with Thanksgiving. Pies will also freeze well if you would like to make several in advance.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (or pumpkin)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon flavoring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk (or light cream)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Beat eggs lightly.
- Then beat in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pie shells.
- Bake 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This was a good traditional sweet potato pie. I enjoyed the flavor. For lemon flavoring I use lemon juice and I didn't have evaporated milk, so I substituted buttermilk. Thanks for a good recipe!