Recipe by Sonata
These delicious, moist muffins came from the Practical Produce Cookbook. I played around with some of the ingredients(mainly because I was too lazy to go down in the basement to get the other bag of all-purpose flour) substituting some whole wheat flour and quick oats for some of the all-purpose flour it called for, and using light brown sugar in place of half of the white sugar. This is a kid-pleaser, with or without the topping. The original recipe states it makes 12 regular-sized muffins. I got 36 mini muffins from it.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat sweet potatoes, milk and egg until smooth; add butter.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Stir into sweet potato mixture just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among paper-lined or greased muffin tins.
- Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top, pressing tightly.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.