Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These delicious, moist muffins came from the Practical Produce Cookbook. I played around with some of the ingredients(mainly because I was too lazy to go down in the basement to get the other bag of all-purpose flour) substituting some whole wheat flour and quick oats for some of the all-purpose flour it called for, and using light brown sugar in place of half of the white sugar. This is a kid-pleaser, with or without the topping. The original recipe states it makes 12 regular-sized muffins. I got 36 mini muffins from it.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Beat sweet potatoes, milk and egg until smooth; add butter.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Stir into sweet potato mixture just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among paper-lined or greased muffin tins.
- Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle on top, pressing tightly.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
I used a whole can of sweet potatoes and substituted sunflower seeds for the walnuts. These muffins are fabulous!!
My new favorite muffins!! Used applesauce instead of butter and had most moist muffins ever! I added dates and just sprinkled brown sugar and oatmeal on top.
I'm so glad that I chose to make these. I made diabetic changes in the following way: The milk was fat free, the egg was only egg white, the butter became applesauce, the white sugar became Splenda and the brown was 1/2 the ask for amount of Splenda Brown, Even with all of that they are wonderful! moist and oh so flavorful. For the topping I just used Splenda and cinnamon with a few nuts. I will absolutely be making this recipe many times over. I made a 6 muffin amount and got 6 lovely regular sized muffins that are excellent.