Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chunks of candied ginger really make these muffins especially good! If you don't have ginger on hand, replace it with chopped dates, raisins, or fresh pineapple. Serve with brie or other mild cheese, butter, or cream cheese. Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped candied ginger (or dates, raisins pineapple)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (or winter squash)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt-may need to add a little water if thick)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (or use all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Oil or spray muffin tins.
- Mix the ginger and wet ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Combine the contents of both bowls together, mixing gently until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake on the middle shelf of oven until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.