Use the extra sweet potatoes from last night’s dinner to make these luscious muffins. You can use any variety of sweet potato; each will give a slightly different result, all of them nutritious and delicious. ADOPTED from the Cancer Project.
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (preferably raw or turbinado)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cooked sweet potatoes (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup golden raisin
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to mix.
- Mash sweet potatoes (if they aren’t mashed already) in a separate large bowl, then stir in non-dairy milk and vinegar. Add flour mixture and raisins. Stir together until just mixed. The batter should be moist. Add a bit more non-dairy milk or water if the batter seems stiff.
- Spoon batter into a vegetable oil sprayed muffin pan, filling almost to the top.
- Bake 25 minutes, until tops of muffins bounce back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.