Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Kim Boyce's Good to the Grain
- 1⁄2 lb about 2 small sweet potato
- vegetable oil, spray for coating the tins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 medjool dates, pitted and cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Roast for 1 hour or until they are tender when pierced with a fork and are caramelizing. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then lightly mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the muffin tin with vegetable oil.
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, whole-wheat flour, whole-grain pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, yogurt, egg and vanilla together.
- Scrape down the sides of the butter bowl and alternately add the dry and wet ingredients; do not overmix. Gently fold in the sweet potatoes, then the dates.
- Using an ice cream scoop (about one-half cup capacity), scoop the batter into each of 10 prepared muffin cups, about 1 scoop per muffin. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The muffins will be dark golden brown on the bottom.