Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living.
Make and share this Sweet Potato Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a muffin pan.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, both sugars, oil, and sweet potatoes; beat at medium speed until blended.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients into this well and stir just until moistened.
- Dredge pecans and dates in 1/4 cup flour; fold into muffin mixture.
- Fill muffin tins to 3/4 full and bake for 27-30 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- (Alternatively, fill mini muffin tins and bake for 12-14 minutes, to yield 4 dozen muffins).
I used fresh sweet potato, boiled and mashed, and raisins rather than dates. There was a bit too much added sugar for me, I think the natural sweetness of the potato and the raisins/dates is plenty, but the sweet-toothed half of my household loved the sweetness. The batter is very gluten-y, which makes the muffins stand up with a light texture. However, this was difficult for a younger person to handle in filling the tins.
This is how I made them- 1c white flour, 1c wheat. Omitted the dates & pecans, added 1/4 c ground flax seed. Used 15oz can sweet tater puree. They were delicious! Very silky & smooth textured. The kids love them. Great way to sneak veggies into the 2 that aren't fond of veggies! THNX!