Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The zing is from the horseradish. Clipped from Southern Living.
- 4 large red potatoes, peeled, diced (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, diced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste (plus more to season the cooking water)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt to taste, add potatoes and cook until tender, covered, 15-20 minutes or until very tender, lowering heat as needed to keep water from spilling over sides of pot.
- Drain and place in large bowl.
- Add butter, milk, sour cream, cheese, horseradish, and all seasonings (to taste), and mash together well.