Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A little something I whipped up as a side for dinner which we all enjoyed.
- 3 onions (brown medium)
- 9.85 ml oil
- 453.59 g sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 7.39 ml butter
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel onions, cut in half and finely slice so you have half moon shaped circles.
- Put into a medium frypan and drizzle with oil and massage the oil in to break up the half rings.
- Cover frypan and cook over a low to moderate heat giving a stir occasionally until a nice golden colour (about 30 to 40 minutes), the longer you take the sweeter the onion will be.
- Put sweet potatoes in a pot of cold water and season with a little salt and bring to the boil and cook till tender.
- When potatoes are cook, drain and give a good shake, put in butter and mash (I used a potato masher) till you get the consistency you like (I like a slightly lumpy texture).
- Add your caramelised onions and mix in well (I just used a fork) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Made this for dinner a couple of nights ago... did a single serving since I'm now the only one in that eats sweet potatoes. I really enjoyed how the caramelized onions perked things up. I prefer my sweet potato savory...no brown sugar or marshmallows, so this is a perfect recipe for me. I did make one tiny change, and that was to add about a Tbs. of milk as well to the potato when mashing it. Will definitely be making this again in the future as a side for chicken, turkey or fish. Thanks for sharing this recipe I'm Pat. Made and reviewed for the August 2013 AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
These are so good! I love sweet potatoes and caramelised onions so putting them together was perfect. Made as written and served with meatloaf. Definately going to make these again! Made for Zaar Stars.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap # 59* Sweet potatoes cooked in record time and onions caramelized when ready to serve. This is a new delicious method for us, since we mostly bake. A great Winter-time dish. Thanks for posting, Pat.