Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious, creamy low calorie alternative to the more traditional white potato mash recipes which apparently is popular at many health spas. And you don't have to peel the sweet potatoes! Now that's a plus when time is scarce! Adapted from a recipe from the Spa at Doral, which I found in Prevention Healthy Cooking's 'Eat up; Slim down: tried-and-true recipes from real weight-loss winners' by Jane Kirby and David Joachim.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 fluid ounces low-fat evaporated milk
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on an oven tray with the unpeeled cloves of garlic, and bake for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside for 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Squeeze the cloves of garlic from their skin and add them to the potato flesh.
- Stir in the honey and unsalted butter, milk and salt to taste, and mash the potatoes until there are no lumps and the consistency is creamy.
Delicious!! We loved this new & different variation of mashed sweet potatoes. I wasn't too sure about the roasted garlic but it works very well with all of the other ingredients. I tucked my garlic under the sweet potatoes while roasting so they wouldn't dry out. I had to use regular salted butter as that was all I had on hand, so I didn't use any additional salt. I served this sprinkled with some cinnamon on top and my family gave it 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!! *Made for Zaar Stars Tag Game*
Oh yum!! This is a great little recipe,and takes so little effort!! I subbed skimmed milk for the evaporated and left out the butter.I also took my garlic out of the oven earlier than the potaoes,to prevent them from over-cooking and drying out. The flavour of the garlic with the sweet potato is just wonderful,even better than it is with regular potato (and that's saying something!).It was so smooth and creamy and packed full of fabulous flavours. Thanks for another top dish BlueMoon.
Always looking for healthy options to enjoy my spuds. These were just delicious and worked well with my spicy grilled chicken. I omitted the butter by accident and frankly didn't miss it. There was enough flavor from the other ingredients. Thanks bluemoon.