1/1 Photo of Sweet Potato Lentil and Lime Soup
Made for cold weather, this hearty warming soup hits all the right spots. The lime, mint and Greek yoghurt are essentials and compliment the earthy flavours of the garlic, cinnamon. ginger lentils and sweet potatoes perfectly. I've adapted this recipe from Sophie Grigson's vegetable book. Pure bliss in a bowl. . .
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20 g gingerroot, grated (1 inch square piece)
- 7.39 ml fennel seed
- 29.58 ml mild olive oil
- 198.44 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
- 150 g red lentils
- 1182.97 ml of mild vegetable stock
- 30 g mint (a small bunch, leaves only, chopped)
- 1-2 lime (juice only)
- 100 ml Greek yogurt (approx, to serve)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat, fry the onion for a couple of minutes then add the fennel seeds, sweet potato, garlic and ginger.
- 2Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and allow to sweat for 10 minutes.
- 3Now add the cinnamon, lentils, chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- 4Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and the lentils broken down.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to cool slightly.
- 6Put half of the mixture in a blender and blend well or use a hand blender to break the soup down, but leave some chunky bits.
- 7When ready to serve, reheat the soup, add the chopped mint (reserving some for garnish) and once hot add the lime juice. Take off the heat and taste and adjust seasoning.
- 8Serve in large bowls with dollops of greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of fresh mint.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Lentil and Lime Soup
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.6
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 369.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: