Originally from VegNews magazine, this is a delicious cake for fall. The sweet potato taste isn't very strong, but gives the cake a subtle flavor and a beautiful color as well as adding a great texture without having to use a ton of oil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potato puree (I used the insides of about 2 medium baked sweet potatoes mashed with a little soy milk)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Preheat then oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 8-inch cake pans. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Add sweet-potato puree, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla and whisk well to form a smooth batter.
- 2Evenly divide the batter between prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool for 15 minutes in the pans, then remove and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- 3For the frosting, beat margarine with an electric mixer for 30 seconds in a large bowl. With the beaters going, slowly add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down teh sides of the bowl and beat an additional 30 seconds. For the filling, transfer one-third of the frosting to a small bowl, add 1/4 cup each of the coconut and pecans and stir well to combine.
- 4To assemble the cake, place one layer on a serving platter. Spread the filling evenly on top of the first layer. Place the remaining layer on the first. Frost the sides and top of the cake with frosting and then sprinkle the remaining coconut and pecans over the top.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.1
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 682.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 144.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 96.6 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance margarine